Monday, January 28, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley

Last night when I heard of President Hinckley's passing I had mixed feelings, sadness and happiness. I am so sad for us who lost our beloved Prophet. He will be greatly missed especially in April at General Conference, when we are so used to seeing his bright and smiling face and enjoying his Witty sense of humor while we are being spiritually fed. But at the same time I am happy for the reunion that is happening right now on the other side of the veil. He has been without his sweetheart for a couple of years now and has greatly missed her. They are together again as well as others that I am sure were there waiting to greet him. Ron E-mailed me this message from our home teacher and friend, Mark Ballif. What a neat tribute to a wonderful man from some of the youth in our Stake....
I had to use Ivan's truck this morning to go over early to help our older daughter, I was gone before Ivan and Jill were even up. He called me at noon for a ride home, when arriving at the high school, Ivan came from the office dressed in his Sunday's best. Letting the self appointed comedian in me come out, I made the statement, "Looks like you fell asleep in your Sunday clothes last night like your dad, and didn't get up in time to change." He replied, "No, I did it out of love and respect for President Hinckley". I asked, "Were you the only one?" He replied, "No, we all sent text messages around to each other and invited our friends to wear their Sunday clothes out of love and respect for our Prophet."
I can't help but think "We Thank Thee Oh God For Our Prophet", and am truly grateful for the influence he has been in my life and the lives of my family.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

What a sweet tribute for Ivan to do that. Tears are flowing down my face. I am amazed at the wonderful kids in the ward.

Jen Shumway said...

Wow that is a neat story. He really was loved by all ages.

TheShumWAYS said...

I am with you guys... I am so sad, but am trying to remember how wonderful the reunion for him. I love that man!