Wednesday, September 3, 2008

This Really Stinks!!!!

As some of you know my parents returned home from their mission in New York in February of this year. Since they have been home my dad has had numerous health issues. A blood clot in his hip, constant coughing, weight loss just to name a few. Well this past week his Pulmonary (lung) Dr. requested that he get a biopsy on his lungs to find out what was there, she had seen some unusual spots and wanted to check them out. After a biopsy of the lung (from what I understand this is an awful surgery) the report is in and the spots are Cancer. Not lung cancer but another form that is coming from another source in his body. So this next week he will be undergoing some more x-rays as well as more testing to find the source of the cancer. He is scared. I am scared. My dad has always been very healthy. He exercises, eats right, he has never let anything "harmful" enter his body. He has come from healthy stock. His mom just died earlier this year at the age of 96 she was healthy, her body just quit. His dad was 82 when he left us and the only thing wrong with him was he was hard of hearing. I guess I just always thought he would be just like his parents. I guess I was naive. I hate that he is going through this. My mom is being strong. He has always taken care of my mom and now it is her turn to take care of him (she had a really good teacher).

I have always had a strong testimony of our Heavenly Father's Plan, but I don't think I was truly grateful for it. Being "thrown" in this situation has really made me ponder His plan and I am going to rely heavily on it to get me through this next phase in my dad's life. I am grateful for my Father in Heaven who knows me personally and is aware of what my family is going through. I can't even imagine going through this without this knowledge. I am sad, but I feel peace.

17 comments:

Ginger said...

Andi, I am so sorry. I will remember your family in my prayers. Maybe it will a kind of cancer will a high cure rate... Hang in there!

Cassie and Chad said...

This sucks!!! I know that is a "notty" word but there is no other that explains this situation. We will get through this, now is the time to come together as a family and let our feelings out and our emotions show (this I know is not easy for our family) I am grateful for a family who loves each other and cares for one another. We love Dad and we know that he is strong and is a fighter. Mom is a fighter too. All will be well, this is a time that will make us all closer. I love you!

Cindy said...

So sorry to hear. But, since he is so healthy--he can fight it. Just keep a positive attitude and things will be fine. I am starting to believe that it doesn't matter how healthy we are--we are predestined for certain trials for certain reasons. I am still trying to figure it out, obviously. Thanks for sharing and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Allyson & Jere said...

CRAP!!! I'm SOOOOO sorry to hear this news about your Dad. The "C" word truly is hideous and frightening, and a bit surreal to say out loud. It's so true, nothing knocks your happy little world on it's butt more than a cancer diagnosis. Our parents are s'posed to freaking live forever, UGH! I will definitely keep him in my prayers, and hope for an outcome as nice as my Dads was. In the meantime, hang in there, and know that you all are being watched over and cared for by many prayers and the Lord.

Don and Sandy said...

Cassie is right, this will be a time when you will all band together and grow closer. This is a time when your testimonies will grow stronger. This is a time when you will rely on the Lord more than ever before. This is a time that you will realize how many friends and family love your family. This is a time when you will realize what your top priorities are and how some of the things we worry about are so insignificant. you have hard times ahead of you but there will be much growth also.
We love you guys and will be here to support you and pray for your family.
Sandy

Bren's Life said...

Oh Andrea! I kept thinking about you today too & thinking I need to call you. But times slipped through my hands & it's now 9:45 pm. Now I see why I was supposed to call or even come by & just give you a hug.
I am so sorry! I know how hard it is to have your dad sick. I am here as a friend if there is anything I can do for you. Please don't hesitate to call....
I'll bring you a Dr. Pepper in the morning... I take Charly to school at 9:30 & I'll come by after that. Ok!

Marissa said...

Andrea,
I am so sorry - Your Dad is strong, I was so impressed by this at Havasupai. He is strong physically, and even more so spiritually. I loved your Aunt Sandy's comment about your family pulling together and relying on the Lord. I love you and your family and will pray for all of you. Love, Marissa

Andrea said...

I wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. Times like this are so hard but friends and family make me able to handle things somehow. Thanks!!

Brenda-I hadn't even read my blog this morning before you came over. I heard the doorbell (at least 20 times) and knew it had to be you. Thanks you are a great friend!

Jennifer-I want you to know I turned away the Dr Pepper that Brenda brought me. I have been doing good and I am bound and determined to not get into the habit of Dr. Pepper because I am sad. I gave into it with my last pregnancy and look where that landed me.

Everyone- Thanks again!

Love Andi

Cherai said...

That does stink. I will all be ok. I am amazed at what they can do now a days compared to just a few years ago. Hang in there. The Lord knows what he is doing.

Heidi said...

Oops, I hope "being good" doesn't also include cookies! (I should have made some healthy whole wheat bread or something.) Sugar is just such good comfort food!

I'll be keeping you, your dad, and your family in my prayers. Hang in there!

Shelley and Greg said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Its so crazy when people are so healthy all of their lives and have longevity on their side and they get sick like this. My dad was our health nut too, and after Greg and I were married he was diagnosed with Parkinsons. It will be so nice when there is no more sickness. We will add your family to our prayers.

Rusten,Danae & Munchkins said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys. Let me know if I can be of any help to watch the kids or what ever you need!

Nana said...

Sending my love your way!

Jen Shumway said...

I am sorry. That really STINKS. Good job on turning away the DR. P Even though it would have tasted great

Leslie said...

I am Cassie, It sucks. I know we will all get through this, but it still SUCKS!!! We all love dad, and mom and we want them to know we are there for them.

Shayla Taylor said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you too. If your dad is anything like you he is positive, resilient and a fighter. Those are the main ingredients for winning this battle! There is nothing to prepare you for this, but know that you have much love headed your way.

Susan said...

This is awful news. I am so sorry. We are so fortunate to have what we have and know what we know. Though it is difficult indeed when we are called upon in this life to stand and say/show we believe. I love you Anderea.