Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What A Fun Night We Had!!!

WARNING THIS IS A LONG ONE!

Lately our kids have been "bickering" and fighting more than usual. It has been driving me crazy! Monday night it was my turn to teach the lesson for FHE. I was not looking forward to this because I knew it would turn into another "Family Home Grieving" night. I was determined to come up with a fun lesson that would help my kids realize that they could have friends within their own family. I mean look at Tara and I we have always been good friends. I am not saying we were perfect because I know we had our moments of frustration with each other, but we made the most out of our situation and are still to this day very close friends as well as sisters.

I found an idea on the Internet that was perfect for my plan. We started out the night with the song "Happy Family". Then after a prayer, we promptly went into the kitchen. We were then put into groups; Mom and Abby, Bryndee and Porter, Torie and Kymber (I am determined to get these 2 to enjoy each other). Bryndee, Torie, and I sat down and our "partners" were blindfolded and then told they would be applying make up on those of us sitting on the chairs. I know what you are thinking, the same thing Ron was thinking...Where is this going? All of us had the best time. It has been a long time since I have heard our whole family laughing together having pure clean fun with no teasing involved.

After we were done, we went into the living room (this is our usual FHE spot) with make up and all and asked the kids if they knew why we did that? The response was I don't know why, but it sure was fun. I then read to them: "Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and WHOLESOME RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES" ("The Family: A Proclamation to the World") This prompted a great discussion about what we can do as a family so we can enjoy each other. We came up with lots of ideas that we can do as a family that #1 don't cost anything, and #2 that we can enjoy together without having to include others outside the family.

To finish the lesson I brought out the "For the Strength of Youth pamphlet" and read: "Being part of a family is a great blessing. Your family can provide you with companionship and happiness, help you learn correct principles in a loving atmosphere, and help you prepare for eternal life. Not all families are the same, but each is important in Heavenly Father's plan.

"Do your part to build a happy home. Be cheerful, helpful, and considerate of others. Many problems in the home are created because family members speak and act selfishly or unkindly. Concern yourself with the needs of other family members. Seek to be a peacemaker rather than to tease, fight, and quarrel. Remember that the family is the most sacred unit of the Church.

"Honor your parents by showing love and respect for them and by being obedient. Be willing to help in the home with chores that need to be done. Participate in family activities and traditions, including family prayer, family home evenings, and family scripture reading. These traditions strengthen and unify families. Set a good example for other family members.

"Strengthen your relationships with your brothers and sisters. They can become your closest friends. Support them in their interests and help them with problems they may be facing."
After a closing prayer we had cookies and a quick game of charades. It turned out to be a wonderful night. And by the way, the makeup came off with only a little bit of scrubbing. If you do this, I suggest not using waterproof mascara. :0}

Abby applying make up on Mom

Porter and Kymber working their "magic"! Porter was so funny he kept waving his hand and shaking his hips saying "Just call me a Stylists!" It was so out of character for him. Either Tara or Ron took the picture and they were laughing so hard the camera shook hence the blurry picture.

The end result. Aren't we lovely!

I think we had a little too much fun. Ron crashed on the couch at 8:30 pm. I am the one to blame for this blurry picture I was laughing at him this time.

9 comments:

Cherai said...

Sounds like a great one. You should let Abby do your makeup everday.

Jen Shumway said...

If you ever brake your hand you know who can help on Sunday morning

Cindy said...

Looks like a fun night. I love it when I come up with something clever and the kids actually learn from it. I will remember this one.

melanie said...

Your house sounds like my house. I will have to try out the fhe idea. Thanks. There is notheing better than when all the kids are getting along.

Heidi said...

Wow, what fun...thanks for sharing. It only takes a few of these jems to make up for the FHG's you mentioned. The kids will remember this one forever!

Marissa said...

What fun!! Don't know if Mazie, Miah and I are brave enough to let Breton and boys "work their magic" or not - glad it went well and I am sure the ripple effects of this evening will be well worth the effort.

Bren's Life said...

That sounds so fun! We talked about that subject last week too, but we didn't do anything fun with it..
I need to do better at having fun & laughing together as a family..
Great idea. keep them coming..

Shayla Taylor said...

Fun! I wasn't able to see if your hubby and Porter had a make over too?

Anonymous said...

IT LOOKS LIKE YOU GOT SOME TALENTED CORIOGRAPHERS IN THE DERRICK HOUSE! I WAS LAUGHING ABOUT WHAT PORTER'S HIP THING!