Saturday, September 27, 2008

6th Grade Science Camp

I had the opportunity to go to Science Camp with Torie this year. We had a wonderful time! We took off on Wed. morning and headed up to Prescott to the escape the heat and to enjoy a terrific camp in the Prescott Mts. called Friendly Pines. We slept in cabins, ate good food, and walked a whole lot (I wish I had a pedometer to keep track). Don't get me wrong there was some learning as well. Cherai and I were chaperons of the "Pink Panther" group which consisted of Torie, Sadie, and 6 other girls. We were a little worried at the beginning about some of these girls, a little to spoiled and pretty affected with themselves (so we thought), but we were wrong. We learned a lesson, as well as our daughters, that you shouldn't judge others by the way they look you may miss out on an opportunity of friendship.

I was very impressed with how well everything went. There were close to 100 students, about 10 school teachers, and 20 parent chaperons. Were were there for 3 days and 2 nights. We had a schedule we had to keep with sessions that we had to attend. Some sessions were...rock wall climbing, obstacle course (with team building strategies), hiking, using compasses, owl pellets, and a few others. During our free time we had to come up with a cabin cheer, a flag, and a skit. The girls did a great job working together coming up with their cheer and their flag. While we were there Cherai came up with a clever skit about the "Pink Panther" and the girls did a great job acting. By the time we got home I was exhausted, but glad I went. Only 3 years till I get to go with Kymber and she is already counting down the time.

The Hot Pink Panthers
Cherai and I and our girls
Torie competing in one of the obstacle course games. It was a hilarious game whoever came up with it was very cleaver! The kids had a ball with it! If you look close, you can see the kids are standing on a log that is suspended in air by 2 chains on each end. The object is to balance on this log for a few seconds by working together as a team. It is very difficult because when one looses it's balance everyone begins to fall. It was fun to see the kids come up with their own way to make this happen.
I had to take this picture because in 6th grade girls and boys are just starting to discover each other. In this particular game the kids had to hold hands which meant at least 1 boy and 1 girl would be touching. If you look closely, their hands are not clasping but just barely touching. It cracked me up.

11 comments:

Cassie and Chad said...

Way to go Pink Panthers!! That looked like a blast, I bet she loved having you there.

Bren's Life said...

Glad you had a Great time. Looks like a lot of fun. Josh will be going next year. I just told Troy he can go with him & he said it sounds fun...

Paul and Mari said...

Fun Fun Fun! That is so cool you were able to go there with her!

Anonymous said...

It was a lot of fun except the last picture! that was wierd but I'm glad I only had to do it once for about .......10 minutes!

Marissa said...

Good for you- that is so neat you were able to go and with Cherai I am sure it was double the fun! You are a good mom.

Cindy said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Glad you got to go and spend some time away--even though you were still babysitting. Thanks for getting signatures for me Friday night when you were so tired.

melanie said...

I love how you and Ron go to everything. I don't know how you do it with 6 other kids. It is so hard to be there for all of them. You make it look so easy. Makes me think 7 is possiable.

Jen Shumway said...

Rick got a picture of Sadie and Braden holding hands. Just wait a couple years

TheShumWAYS said...

Oh how fun! Didn't you love it up here? :)

bryndee said...

sis. shumway, that is disgusting

Heather said...

Hi, this is Heather J. from the flipzone! We were asking you about your blog Tues night! Cute blog and fun family. I had to comment here cause Sierrah and I are headed up to science camp in mid November. We can't wait. I keep calling it girls camp??