Monday, February 23, 2009

Family Home Evening! What A Fun Night We Had!

We have been having a little difficulty with Unity in our family lately. Last week for FHE Ron touched on this topic in his lesson. Tonight was my turn for the lesson and I thought I would expound on the same topic, UNITY.

To begin with I had Ron write each of our names on disposable cups. It was really funny, we decided to use these same cups for dinner (killing 2 birds with 1 stone) and the kids were quite intrigued as to why each of their names were written upside down on the cups. You should have heard our conversation at the dinner table trying to figure out what all this meant. After dinner, when all the dishes (except the cups) were put away and the table cleaned we met back at the dinner table for our lesson. We usually have FHE in the Living Room but tonight we needed the flat table, this just added to the curiosity of the evening.


First I asked if anyone remembered what last week's lesson was on. I was sure they wouldn't remember because if I remember correctly last week was more of a Family Home Grieving, but I guess I was wrong. Porter and Torie remembered it and remembered it well. Then I had Bryn look up the word in the dictionary. Webster described it as ONENESS! Perfect definition! After a little discussion, we took the cups and turned them upside down (hence the reason for writing their names upside down) and built a pyramid. This symbolized our family working together as one toward a common goal of eternal happiness. Then I started complaining, bickering, teasing, etc and tapping the cups with each new negative thing till the pyramid fell. Symbolizing our family failing. It was quite the object lesson.


Then we told them for our activity we would go outside and build a "family" pyramid. But for this to work we had to work together or we would tumble just like the cups. To begin with Ron, Bryndee, and I were on the bottom and the kids tried to climb up while staggering themselves, but it didn't work. They didn't understand where to put their knees or their hands and Taralee kept running out into the road. So I volunteered to come out of the pyramid and be the official stager and photographer. Here is what we came up with.

The cup pyramid!


Ellie was mad because she had to be on Kymber's back. She LOVES Bryndee and wanted to be on her back. She is slowly learning she doesn't always get her way. After the pyramid the kids just wanted to try other stunts (compliments of Bryndee)!

Ellie and Bryndee!

Kymber and Bryndee

10 comments:

Shayla Taylor said...

I love that idea--I may steal it to use on my family!

Marcina said...

I love hearing your ideas for great family home evening lessons! It is so fun to find something that really hits home with your kids. We'll have to try this too.

Anonymous said...

I love that you had to be the coordinator of the pyramid. The Mother is the coordinator of the home for it to function well. What a great FHE!

Niki Miller said...

That is great! I'm going to have to use that one.

Allyson & Jere said...

GOOD FOR YOU!! I'm just wondering where you come up with such clever thoughts? I mean really, that was great!

Susan said...

How fun! When I first saw the picture off the family pyramid I instantly thought:

-Wow Andrea looks good and YOUNG!
then
-Nope that must be an old picture from when she was a kid.
and finally
-Wow that's not her, it's her daughter!

Is that Torie? She looks just like you.

Glad you had a fun night.

Cassie and Chad said...

I love that idea and I love that you got in on camera!!! The family pyramid was awesome, Tori looks so grown up. Ellie was a crack up!

Karen said...

ok, we should have had this lesson instead of having to have Rachel get so sick! Now if the unity can only continue.....

Tara L. Stradling said...

I didn't know you did this. Great pictures and fun stories. Hope they all "stick"!

Kristi said...

That's a very creative idea! I will have to remember that one. I'm sure I will have to have a lesson like that sometime.