Saturday, June 21, 2008

Scout Camp

This past week was our ward's scout camp. Porter was finally old enough to attend. He was so excited to go. They went from Monday June 16 to Friday June 20. Because girls camp was Tuesday to Thursday of the same week and only a couple miles away Ron got to participate in both girls camp with Bryndee and scout camp with Porter. It was great that he could pop in and out of each camp when needed. Too bad we did not get any pictures of girls camp, but Bryndee had a wonderful time. We really have some great leadership in our ward with the young men and young women. The scout camp was so well organized and executed I think Porter completed 5 required merit badges. What a wonderful opportunity for him.This is Porter and his friend Porter Severtson. My Porter is the one in the purple suns hat. These 2 boys are so much alike. They are in the same grade, they have alot of the same interests, and they both are just good kids. They both love scouting. Both boys are on track to have their Eagle before they turn 14. It will be wonderful not having battle him when he is older and other interests are more important to him.
One of the badges was "Wilderness Survival". The boys were required to build a shelter that they could sleep in that would shield them from the elements. The two Porters worked together. I think they did a terrific job. Too bad my Porter would not sleep in it. He is deathly afraid of spiders and the older boys were teasing the younger boys trying to freak them out about bugs and spiders. Porter got too worked up and would not sleep in his structure. He ended up sleeping with his dad in his tent leaving Porter S. to fend for himself. I think the next morning my Porter felt pretty bad leaving Porter S. alone.
I guess where they were camping this road had been closed for the last few years and just recently opened up a couple months ago. I think they need to rethink just how safe this road is. Ron and Porter were traveling and got stuck. Ron tried to turn around and felt the shoulder give way. He had Porter climb over him and slowly get out on his side. Ron put the emergency break on and got out himself. Brett Woods came with his truck and after a long ordeal, he helped pull Ron out. You can't tell by this picture, but it is a very steep drop off. Ron said there were 2 trees down below that he would aim for if he were to go off all the way. He thought it would be better to hit a tree and stop with a crash than to go down and crash at the bottom. What a choice to make. Ron really felt that he and Porter were really watched over. He is still amazed to have gotten out without a scratch on them or the truck he did loose a mud flap though. We are grateful they said their prayers that morning!! All in all Porter said he had a great time, and can't wait till the next camp out!

11 comments:

Jen Shumway said...

That looks worse than I imagined. Your prays were in need that day.

Cherai said...

I know it is seriouse and I am glad they are ok but that picture is so funny to me. All those men standing around with their arms folded as if they are scatching their heads saying now what do we do.

Kristi said...

Stefan told me about the truck incident. It did sound pretty scary. I'm glad that everything turned out okay! He also told me about the spiders. I'm afraid of them too!

Bren's Life said...

Oh My! I would have to say prayers where definately answered & they were watched over.. That is just too scary. Glad Porter had a great time...

Marissa said...

I am glad they were kept safe!! What a neat time Porter had - and I am sure Bryndee too.

melanie said...

Porter should get a merit badge for being brave and learning what not to do on a cliff. How great that Ron could go to Scout Camp and Girls Camp. Big plus that comes with his church calling.

Heidi said...

Miracles have not ceased! Thanks for sharing the pictures of the good, the bad, and the scary!

Did you like the pioneer movie?

Ginger said...

That looks so scary! I think if it was Brian & Trayser I wouldn't want them to ever go again if I saw the picture! But it looks like Porter had a good time...

Susan said...

Justin knows better that to show me a picture like that...Yikes how scary! (BTW will you send me your email address? I can't figure out how to invite you without it?)

Shayla Taylor said...

Holy Cow! I am so grateful that both of your boys are okay. Porter, awesome job on the shelter!

Jeff and Bobbie Haws said...

Oh, that is crazy. I am glad everyone is safe.