Once again I took this off of Cassie's blog....
DAY ONE...
Well today we spent the day up at Huntsman hospital. My dad received surgery. He got his hip replacement taken completely out. The doctor put in an antibiotic ball in it's place. The surgery went as well as what they expected. The goal is to get the infection gone and the pain lessened so he can continue with his Chemo treatments. We were somewhat optimistic when the doctor came out and told us he was finished. Then we waited 2 1/2 hours for him to come out of recovery. When they finally brought him up he was not himself. He was talking very strange and singing. He did not know who I was or my sister. And his right side was not functioning. This concerned the doctor. They immediately sent him to do a cat scan on his head and neck. They are not sure but there is a possibility that he might have suffered a small stroke. We will know more in the morning. Needless to say I have never had a more emotional, up and down day. With my dad pretty "loopy" on the medication we were either laughing or crying or we were laughing to keep from crying. At one point he tried to speak Spanish to the Spanish nurse...My dad does not know Spanish but sure thought he did. I hope and pray that he will recover soon and that the pain will be lessened. Time will tell.
Day Two...
As I said in the last post, my Dad had a CT scan yesterday. It showed a small mass in his brain. He just finished up with an MRI, which showed a much clearer picture of what they're dealing with. It is a small lesion (tumor) that is cancer on his brain, not a stroke. They are going to perform radiation surgery. They won't have to cut him open at all (thank goodness), but hit 5-6 different lasers at different angles at his lesion at the same time. The neurosurgeon said he feels this is all it will take to kill that tumor and prevent more from coming. My Dad will have to take steroids to keep the swelling down, and one of the side effects is massive swelling, but it's not an absolute, meaning the doctor had to tell us it's a side effect, but he's confident all will be fine and Dad can continue on with his life and there won't be any more problems. As far as the brain tumor goes. We still have every thing else to deal with. But this is good news.
I can't believe this is going on with my Dad. I guess because I am in AZ and my Dad is in UT I have a hard time picturing him in his very weak condition. Last year when I was trying to pass a rather large kidney stone I had never been in so much pain. For 4 hours I winced in pain with no comfort. Finally they gave me some drugs and I was given immediate relief. My Dad has been dealing with unbearable pain since November with no relief. No amount of drugs they give him will help. I just hope and pray that this new procedure and the surgery he had this last week will give him some sort of relief. Thanks to all for your continued prayers and support. It is much appreciated!
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Dad Again!
Posted by
Andrea
at
8:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I am so sorry that your family and most importantly your Dad is having such pain and heartache. He will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
It was so great to see you - thanks for coming and braving the wind and cold.
I am glad he is doing better--i am sure it is hard to be so far away right now. It sounds like he is in good hands and they have a plan and can move forward. Hang in there--things will be ok. Please keep us informed.
Oh Andrea--I am SO sorry. I am sitting here crying at this post. It is so sad to hear he is in so much pain. I am praying for you guys and hope everything will be okay. Hang in there!!
UGH! All i want to do is scream for you. I am truly, so, so sorry. Sorry that he is suffering so much and sorry that you are all suffering in your own way. This sucks, there aren't any other words that fit. Here's hoping that with the latest surgeries he will find some relief from this horrible pain. My prayers are with you all.
I'm sorry to hear all this going on with your dad! I'm sure it's also hard for you not to be living close by your parents. I hope all goes well!
Lets just go back to an earlier post you had called I hate Cancer. I hate that your dad is in so much pain. It is not fair. I hope they finaly have a grip on it and so he can start to feel some relief.
Yes- I hate CANCER. I am so sorry. Please-please let me know what I can do to help..
It seems it is a blessing they have found the tumor in his brain -I hope this knowledge will help them to help him with better results. I am sorry your family is struggling with this - I am sorry you are dealing with it from a distance. I too can not picture your father in a weakened state - his image in my mind is of a smiling, strong man -hiking Havesupai. We love you - and add our prayers to yours.
on another note - sorry I have missed so many of your calls!
I am so sorry. I know all too well the ups and downs of watching your dad suffer through cancer. It's such a heart wrenching ride. My prayers will be with him and you.
An addendum:
Dad was supposed to have the radiation surgery on Monday. It didn't happen and they told my mom today that it won't happen until at least Thursday. She is so discouraged and heartbroken. I'm not sure who I feel more pain for, my dad or my mom. It's killing me to watch both of them suffering so much...
Post a Comment